Digital asset mining company Core Scientific mined a total of 1,044 bitcoin in December, taking its total for the year to 5,769.
- As of the end of the year, Core Scientific held 5,296 BTC (approximately $248 million at current prices), according to an announcement Wednesday.
- The total of 5,769 BTC in 2021 comfortably exceeds those of Bitfarms and Marathon Digital who both made similar announcements Monday, having mined 3,452 and 3,197 respectively. For December, Bitfarms mined 363 bitcoins, while Marathon mined 484.5.
- Core Scientific operates around 67,000 ASICS mining machines, representing a hashrate of 6.6 EH/s.
- Last July, the firm announced it would be going public via a merger worth $4.3 billion with special purpose acquisition company Power & Digital Infrastructure Acquisition.
- Power & Digital shareholders will be asked to give their approval to the merger at a special meeting on Jan. 19.